Africa Matters Ltd (“AML”) is looking to strengthen its high performing consulting team with a passionate individual, with relevant experience, who will contribute to our service offering for blue chip clients across the African continent and play a role in the company’s growth. This is an exciting opportunity for an entrepreneurial individual to join a growing consultancy, that relishes punching above its weight, and take on the personal commercial responsibilities associated with playing a part in that growth.
This role will focus on our work for clients in Anglophone West Africa. The candidate will have an understanding and practical experience of the region, and the opportunities and challenges that exist for businesses there. Much can be learned on the job, but the successful candidate will have a solid track record upon which to build. The candidate will be required to support clients’ expansion and operations in relevant countries. There will also be an expectation to contribute to business development in the region.
Role and responsibilities
- Keep key clients informed of political, economic, regulatory and sector specific developments in their target markets;
- Engage with clients at a senior management level, adding value to their strategic thinking and risk management in West Africa.
- Manage high value, high stakes commercial disputes on behalf of clients with African Governments.
- Produce high calibre compliance and investigative reports for clients;
- Proactively identify new business opportunities for AML;
- Manage relationships with clients in a professional and commercial manner;
- Grow AML’s consultancy portfolio in the region;
- Forge new relationships to maintain and grow AML’s network in the region; and
- Play a creative role in improving AML’s content delivery to clients.
Preferred candidate characteristics
- Experience in the private sector.
- Precision in both written and oral communication.
- A good understanding of the region, especially Nigeria.
- Interest in the private sector beyond simply how companies relate to governments.
- A dynamic networker able to quickly identify how AML can be relevant to potential clients.
- Good inter-personal skills.
- Strong organisational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and under pressure.
- Proven research ability.
- Excellent English language skills.
- Practical experience in Nigeria.
- Ability to demonstrate an existing network in the region.
- Additional languages would be desirable but not essential.
- Knowledge graphics software such as Draw.io would be useful, though not essential.
Please submit a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 26 April 2017.
Salary and bonus
- £45-£65k basic salary range (plus bonus), dependent on experience.